Somebody forgot to tell the weather that it is July now, so once again we have standing water covering the majority of the yard. On the bright side, that limits what I can be doing outside today which means I can take a few minutes to share our latest update.
The bees have been bearding a lot on the outside of their hives lately. Generally that is the equivalent of you or I hanging out on a breezy front porch on a summer evening. They've all come home from a hard day's work, and its just to stuffy inside the tightly packed hive for everyone to hang out in there, so they gather on their "front porch" to flap their wings and keep themselves and their hive cool.
Since the bees had successfully filled the portion of the hives we had initially allow them access to, we decided to remove the partition to give them more space to expand their hive. In doing so, we accidentally broke off part of one comb, so we went ahead and harvested the honey and wax from that piece. Our big picture plan for harvesting is to wait until next year before collecting any wax or honey to allow the bees to get one winter behind them, but we did not want to waste the broken piece (and they are certainly being very productive right now anyway). We were able to collect this nice little sample of home-grown goodness.
Another small project under our belts now is the construction of the support system for our tomato plants and some other vine growing goodies. As is often the case, we took a look at our stockpiles of salvaged materials (we're THOSE people), and started brainstorming how we could use them to fill a need (in this case, we really needed to cage our tomatoes somehow before they got too much bigger). Making it up as we went, we came up with a trellis system of re-bar and re-mesh that will function well for the current need, can be disassembled and reconfigured for future needs, and adds a fun new architectural element to the front yard (because, once again, that is the only part of the property not underwater...still...in July).
After getting the trellises up, we finally got some of that new mountain of mulch moved into place, thanks to our hardworking volunteers here at the Soggy Hollow House Project and their fancy farm implements.
Thanks for reading!
Soggy Hollow House Project